On May 14, 2007, Monday, we will all off our work to decide who will lead and govern our country. While this list may not be like yours, I hope I can share with you key points I considered on selecting our to-be leaders.
- Koko Pimentel, judicial and tax reforms
- Chiz Escudero, broad advocacies and interesting bills filed
- Prospero Pitchay, mindanao development plan
- Miguel Zubiri, solid environment reforms proven by his bills passed
- Martin Bautista, medicare and social welfare, a medical practitioner
- Ping Lacson, environment, peace and order
- Manny Villar, entrepreneurship, economic development
- Loren Legarda, investment reforms
- Mike Defensor, housing reforms
- Kiko Pangilinan, LGU reforms and family welfare
- Ralf Recto, economic dev’t, batangueño :)
- Edgardo Angara, agricultural modernization, great track record
- Mindanao. It may not be obvious on my list but the fact is, 4 candidates here represent Mindanao. Koko-Cagayan de Oro, Chiz-Sorsogon, Pitchay-Surigao, Zubiri-Negros.
- Economics. The Philippines in order to continue moving on, our legislators must know about economics and law.
- Hypocrisy. Despite the hypocrisy of Mike Defensor and Manny Villar to favor Erap’s release for that sake of reconciliation, our own Ralf Recto’s so called “Type School Building” and Angara’s “turncoat-ism” and molten “PPA advocacy” in previous election, I still believe they can do well among others.
- Age matter. I favored electing young candidates and welcome fresh ideas and new social, political, and business reforms.
- Arts & Tourism. This may not be directly related to legislative body, afaik should be on executive department. But given more options, I may chose between Bautista and Montano.
- Vilma Santos Recto, Governor - Batangas
- Edwin Ermita, Batan, Vice-Governor - Batangas
- Ipe Marquez, Mayor, Rosarro, Batangas
- AGAP, samahan ng mangsasaka, magbababoy, magmamanok, feed millers, beterinaryo, kooperatiba, at padpao.
- TUCP, Trade Union Congress of the Philippines
- Gabriela, filipino women’s group
- AGHAM, filipino scientists and engineers
- A Teacher, filipino teachers and educators
The media exerted great effort on social awareness; GMA Network did good job on keeping the people informed. ABS-CBN News, Philippine Daily Inquirer, Inquirer.NET, broadsheets, political bloggers, columnists and responsible broadcasters.
If its not for GMA’s programs Isang Boto, Philippine Agenda, Isang Tanong, and GMANews.tv Election 2007 website, I would not know that Martin Bautista exists. That Cayetano is sheer showbiz, that Zubiri is great legislator, that Trillanes is just a typical military man with no concrete platform.
See you on May 14. Keep in mind, YOUR ONE VOTE WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!